France Lays Out ‘rules Of The Road’

091413-Nascar-Brian-france-Robin-Pemberton-DG-PI_20130914155003587_335_220

“The military threat has to be maintained to bring [Syrian President Bashar] Assad to the table,” Hollande said in an interview with France’s TF1 television station. “And sanctions have to be envisaged if he does not comply” with any U.N. resolution on the chemical weapons. Hollande has been President Obama ‘s most prominent European supporter on the issue of armed intervention in Syria. Before Russia proposed that Syria agree to give up its chemical weapons, the French president had called for a coalition of European states to join in military action against Syria but said France would go it alone if necessary. “We threatened force,” Hollande said in the interview Sunday, “not just us but the United States and the United Kingdom. If we hadn’t, Assad would have continued to threaten his own population.” British Prime Minister David Cameron backed off from a threat of force after Parliament voted to oppose military intervention. Hollande called the Syrian civil war “the most serious tragedy since the start of the 21st century” and said France could be proud of its efforts to bring about a solution to the chemical weapons issue. “Until now, it was the United States and France who envisaged [air] strikes to change something, and to persuade the Russians,” he said. “The pressure we exercised has played a part. The next step is to find a political solution to the Syrian crisis.” Responding to allegations that France had become America’s puppet, Hollande said: “What crime is there to be with President Obama on this essential question that affects our own security? France considers that what has been agreed between Russians and Americans is an important step.” Hollande said he would meet with U.S. Secretary of State John F. Kerry and British Foreign Secretary William Hague on Monday, and that French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius would be traveling to Russia, as part of France’s efforts to draw up the U.N.

Child Beauty Pageant Ban: France’s Senate Votes To Bar Contests

Seperate multiple addresses with Commas. Must enter an email address. You must enter the verification code below to send. Invalid entry: Please type the verification code again. September 18, 2013, 10:11 a.m. ET Air France Says Planning 2,800 Additional Job Cuts Text By Sam Schechner PARIS–Air France-KLM (AF.FR) plans to cut more jobs and lean more on its low-cost affiliate for flights inside Europe in a renewed effort to return to profit amid a sputtering economy and cut-throat competition on domestic and long-haul routes, it said Wednesday. The airline, a unit of Air France-KLM SA, said it will eliminate another 2,800 jobs from its French operations over the next two years, in addition to the 5,100 job cuts announced last year as part of a cost-saving plan. The French airline said it hopes the cuts will help it save 450 million euros ($585 million) a year as part of a company-wide transformation plan aimed at cutting roughly EUR2 billion in annual costs by 2015. The new plan underscores how many of Europe’s former monopoly carriers are struggling to cut costs fast enough amid relentless competition for their domestic business from budget carriers like Ryanair Holdings PLC. At the same time, fast-growing Middle Eastern and Asian carriers are competing more fiercely for long-haul passengers on routes between Europe and Asia. Air France had said in July it envisaged only shedding in the region of 2,600 jobs in a second round of job cuts. Air France said it plans also to lean more on its low-cost subsidiary Transavia to handle shorter flights where its flagship Air France has been losing money. That could translate to fewer Air France flights to cities like Toulouse, to be connected to Paris by a new high-speed rail link, as well as from Paris’s smaller Orly airport to destinations around Europe. Cost-cutting has already helped Air France-KLM’s bottom line.

Air France Says Planning 2,800 Additional Job Cuts

“Expectations are that a driver and a team give 100 percent effort, their best effort, to complete a race and race as hard as they possibly can,” France said. Later today, NASCAR is expected to release a technical bulletin detailing new rules that will be effective Sunday. President Mike Helton recited the draft of Tenet 12-4L to the competitors and the media, which states: “NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability with the goal of achieving their best possible finishing position in an event. Any competitor who takes action with the intent to artificially alter the finishing positions of the event or encourages, persuades or induces others to artificially alter the finishing position of the event shall be subject to a penalty from NASCAR. Such penalties may include but are not limited to disqualification and/or loss of finishing points and/or fines and/or loss of points and/or suspension and/or probation to any and all members of the teams, including any beneficiaries of the prohibited actions. “‘Artificially altered’ shall be defined as actions by any competitor that show or suggest that the competitor did not race at 100 percent of their ability for the purpose of changing finishing positions in the event at NASCAR’s sole discretion.” Helton offered a “working” laundry list of what actions would be acceptable, such as “contact while racing for position, drafting, pitting, tire and fuel management yielding to a faster car, alternative pit strategy and long fuel strategy.” On restarts, Helton added that if a competitor elected to lay over for one driver, “you lay over for all” but that there would be further explanation in Sunday’s drivers’ meeting. As for what was unacceptable, Helton included “offering a position in exchange for a favor, offering material benefit in exchange for track position” as was intimated but not proved last Saturday night between the Penske Racing No. 22 team and the No. 38 Front Row Motorsports team. Also related to Richmond was, “directing a driver to give up a position to the benefit of another driver, intentionally causing a caution,” the former, which NASCAR found fault with from the No. 38 and Michael Waltrip Racing — the latter, which allegedly happened with the No. 15 MWR Toyota. Helton added “intentionally wrecking a driver, pitting or pulling into the garage to gain advantage from another competitor,” would not be tolerated. To deter collusion on the spotter stand, vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said only one spotter per team would be allowed on the spotter’s stand and each can carry two analog radios, a scanner plus a Fanvision. Digital radio communication cannot be used between the spotters or in the cars.

Obama defends deal with Russia on Syria, says it could end war

The Senate approved the measure 197-146 overnight, as an amendment to a law on women’s rights. The legislation must go to the lower house of parliament for further debate and another vote. Such beauty pageants, involving girls of all ages often heavily made up and dressed up, regularly elicit public debate in France and elsewhere. While such pageants are not as common in France as in the United States, girls get the message early on here that they are sexual beings, from advertising and marketing campaigns and even from department stores that sell lingerie for girls as young as 6. “The foundations of equal rights are threatened by the hyper-sexualization that touches children … between 6 and 12 years old,” said conservative lawmaker Chantal Jouanno, who authored the amendment. “At this age, you need to concentrate on acquiring knowledge. Yet with mini-Miss competitions and other demonstrations, we are fixing the projectors on their physical appearance. I have a hard time seeing how these competitions are in the greater interest of the child.” She noted the amendment is primarily focused on protecting girls. “When I asked an organizer why there were no mini-boy contests, I heard him respond that boys would not lower themselves like that.” The amendment’s language is brief but sweeping: “Organizing beauty competitions for children under 16 is banned.” It doesn’t specify what kind of competitions would be covered, including whether it would extend to online photo competitions or pretty baby contests. It would apply to parents or others who enter children in such contests but also anyone “who encourages or tolerates children’s access to these competitions.” The amendment says it’s aimed at protecting children from danger and being prematurely forced into roles of seduction that harm their development. Michel Le Parmentier, who says he has been organizing “mini-Miss” pageants in France since 1989, said he’s disappointed that the draft law involves an overall ban.